Friday, October 18, 2013

{ A Grim Reminder }

Last October 15, 2013, a 7.2 magnitude earthquake struck Cebu and Bohol at 8:12 AM ( local time). I was on the 9th floor of the building when it happened. I felt the earth tremble and watched the lights on the ceiling shake fiercely as I duck under my desk. I heard screams. Lots of screams. It was a grim reminder that during times like those, everyone is equal. No rich, and no poor. Everything was turning grey. I don't know if it was a black out or it was just that traumatizing that my eyes are losing its colors. I remained under my desk until someone called out my name. I was thankful that my best friend reached out her hand and grabbed me by the arm. We called out my other teammates who were also under their desks for cover. The next thing I knew was we were evacuating the building. My memory's fuzzy. It all happened so fast.

I don't want to watch the news because the only thing they show are the bad ones. Historic relics, churches, buildings, roads and malls were either completely or partially destroyed by the earthquake. Death toll is still rising. And it breaks my heart.
When I tweeted about the earthquake in Bacolod yesterday, I got an overwhelming response of people across the world who wished me well, and others who responded that they felt the quake on their end of the world too. That’s when I found out that Bacolod didn’t have it bad at all. (Bohol and Cebu had it worst. CdO, Bacolod, Davao, Iloilo and other neighboring cities just felt ripples the actual intensity.) What I don’t understand is how other people have the nerve to comment “Karma lang yan“, “Cebu deserves it,” “The churches are the main target because God is punishing you” and other negative and totally inappropriate ideas like that. Seriously, over a hundred people died, thousands are sad and scared out of their minds, hospitals needed to evacuate patients out into the streets (imagine post-op, new borns, and ICU patients!!!) and some idiots think it’s funny or even right to say we deserve it? It’s absolutely ridiculous, and I refuse to give them any more useless attention, so if you want to read them yourself, do so here. - Kryz Uy -

Cebuana Fashion Blogger Kryz Uy is right. They don't deserve our attention. We are currently scared out of our wits here and they make fun of other people's predicaments? Now, that's just sad.

The day after the earthquake, we were advised to go to work despite the aftershocks. We would often get paranoid if we could just feel a slight shaking. I admit, all of us were traumatized. We would often check these sites just so we could be sure: http://www.emsc-csem.org/#1w and http://www.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph/html/update_SOEPD/EQLatest.html.

Bohol had it worst. Most of the casualties are from Bohol. I have a a friend who was working at the hospital when the earthquake struck. They evacuated the patients out of the hospital and continued to remain outside since then. He sent me a text message that he's currently charging his phone in his neighbor's house because they don't have any electricity for two days ( and his neighbor has a generator).

The aftermath is devastating. And that earthquake was a grim reminder.


But even though hope is distant, the beautiful and wonderful thing about all this is again is the truly caring and resilient nature of the Filipino people. I was happy to hear that my family was fine and okay. I couldn't stop thinking about my dad during all the ruckus. I received lots of messages asking if I was okay ( because they knew I'm working on the 9th floor) and messages that wished me well. Even a simple message is a message of hope. God is good. And He loves us so much. It takes faith and prayers that everything is going to be okay.  The Filipinos know well, that God wouldn't leave us. We, Filipinos, know.

And this is a warning for this is a cheesy post but even my boyfriend rushed all the way from his work to I.T. park just to check if I was okay. That simple act of deed motivates me to live on. To not give up hope. Because there are people out there who really really loves us and care for us. So, my friends, let us do the same. Remember, God hasn't forsaken us. He is here. He is everywhere. Our Father will not leave us, for we also did not leave our fellow countrymen.

And as I am posting these pictures here, my heart is breaking again. But we have to eventually face reality. I am going to cite out a quote from an anime character ( forgive the otaku in me) in FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood.
 So it will change. Because we're weak, because we'll die one day, we'll want to live on, to struggle. Only then we humans will become stronger. - Trisha Elric -

I so agree to this. We fall but we stand up on our own. We would want to move on. To live. To survive.

.

.

.

.

.

To hope.

MS.

2 comments:

  1. There is still hope despite everything. I'm just glad that everyone we hold dear is safe. To those people who said that we deserved it. You might not know how worse it going to happen to you guys. Lets just ignore them and pray for them as well. To not let them experience what we already have.

    I feel bad for all the losses. But life continues to move on. not just for us but for the people who we left behind as well.

    " Behind the darkest cloud. There is always a silver lining"

    Let us all pray and be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right. Life is just too short. It is easily lost. But it moves on. We move on. Let us believe in God that He will make it better. :)

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by Sweet Lemon Grey Designs